The International Climate Summit, organized by the PHD Chamber of Commerce in collaboration with Invest India and in partnership with Norway, served as a platform to address the urgent need for sustainable solutions to combat climate change. Adopting a hybrid format, the event combined physical and virtual elements to ensure broader participation and maximize the impact of discussions. The virtual segment, facilitated by ibentos, a prominent virtual event management company, provided remote attendees with a dynamic and inclusive platform. With a strong focus on hydrogen fuel, the summit aimed to explore its potential as a key driver for a sustainable future. Notably, leading private companies, including Reliance Industries, actively participated in the event.
On August 15th 2021, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the ‘National Hydrogen Mission’ for India, in his Independence Day speech. In the then-forthcoming International Climate Summit on September 3rd 2021, where Norway was to join India as a partner country, the theme was established as ‘Powering India’s Hydrogen Ecosystem’, COVID-19 pandemic restrictions were a hurdle. That year the pandemic was at its peak and the world was in turmoil and so was India.
To successfully host and conclude such a large event with an impactful agenda, the PHD Chamber of Commerce along with Invest India, needed a sustainable yet robust solution to host a high-tech hybrid event. An event that could accommodate virtual and in-person guests from around the world, maintain uniformity and unanimity for both the category of attendees and most importantly inflict a similar engagement among both without inflicting on the agenda of the event.
- National Hydrogen Mission: The vision of the mission is to reduce India’s dependency on oil and natural gas to meet its energy requirements and establish Hydrogen power as an alternative while also pushing India in becoming a global hub for green hydrogen production and exports. Partnered by NITI Aayog, Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Department of Scientific & Industrial Research, CSIR and the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India, the event aims to stabilize and strengthen India’s climate neutrality agenda.
- Union Ministers Bhupendra Yadav, Ashwani Kumar Choubey and Jitendra Singh, NITI Aayog member Dr V.K. Saraswat and Sturle Harald Pedersen, chairperson of Greenstat India, Norway attended the conference.
- Mukesh Ambani, Chairperson, and MD of Reliance Industries, Deepak Bagla, MD & CEO, of Invest India, Prerna Soni, Vice President, of Invest India and Ravneet Mann, Vice President, of Invest India, were among the keynote speakers at the event.
- The summit brought together policymakers, regulators, industry leaders, experts, and scientists from across the world to reach an agreement on climate change and sustainability issues.
- A National Hydrogen Portal was also launched as a one-stop destination for the research, production, storage, transportation, and application of hydrogen, with a focus on Green Hydrogen.
- Providing Advanced Hybrid Event Technology: To keep the agenda of the drive intact and support the potential of hydrogen fuel as a clean and renewable energy source, an advanced hybrid event was the priority. Be it in-person attendees or virtual, each and every attendee experience the event similarly and in real-time.
- Promote Collaboration and Networking: Events are to improve collaboration and expand the network. The idea was to facilitate networking lounges and easy communication between various attendees, speakers and industry experts present through any of the two formats of the event, to foster partnerships, share knowledge, and identify opportunities for advancing hydrogen fuel technologies and infrastructure.
- Uniform Engagement among Attendees: The attempt was to create an ecosystem of seamless communication and interaction that promotes the attendees to speak freely and engage effectively throughout the conference. Keeping in mind the theme of the event, the environment, the interactive touchpoints, resource centre, auditorium, banners, etc were designed to resonate with the agenda to advocate for the promotion, adoption and integration of hydrogen fuel as a viable alternative to fossil fuels.
Planning and Execution:
The planning phase involved close collaboration between the teams of PHD Chamber of Commerce and Invest India, to get an outline of the summit’s objectives and develop a theme and environment that resonates with the agenda, i.e. attention towards the adoption of hydrogen fuel. The event was strategically designed to cater to both in-person attendees and virtual participants, with an immersive virtual event platform with realistic 3D graphics and a physical venue replica created to give the virtual attendees a full-fledged experience of a physical event. Also, suitable venues were selected for the physical component in India. ibentos played a pivotal role in coordinating the virtual segment, ensuring a seamless experience for remote attendees.
- Keynote Addresses: Eminent speakers from government bodies, industry leaders, and experts delivered keynote addresses highlighting the importance of hydrogen fuel in the transition to a sustainable future. They discussed technological advancements, investment opportunities, and policy initiatives supporting its adoption.
- Panel Discussions and Workshops: Engaging panel discussions and interactive workshops delved into various aspects of hydrogen fuel, including production methods, storage technologies, transportation infrastructure, and potential applications in diverse sectors. Experts shared insights, case studies, and success stories, fostering collaboration and knowledge exchange.
- Industry Participation: Private companies, including Reliance Industries, actively participated in the summit, showcasing their initiatives and innovations in the hydrogen fuel sector. They shared their experiences, challenges, and future plans, contributing to a vibrant exchange of ideas and best practices.
Engagement and Outcomes:
- Collaboration and Networking: The International Climate Summit provided a conducive environment for stakeholders to network, establish collaborations, and explore potential partnerships. Government bodies, private companies, and industry experts engaged in meaningful discussions, fostering relationships that can drive advancements in hydrogen fuel technologies and infrastructure.
- Knowledge Exchange and Awareness: Through informative sessions and interactive forums, participants gained insights into the potential of hydrogen fuel and its applications across industries. The summit played a crucial role in raising awareness about hydrogen fuel as a sustainable energy source and its significant contribution to mitigating climate change.
- Policy Recommendations: The discussions and insights generated during the summit contributed to the formulation of policy recommendations and regulatory frameworks that support the development and adoption of hydrogen fuel technologies. These recommendations aimed to create an enabling environment for private sector investments and sustainable growth in the hydrogen fuel sector.
Summing it up:
The International Climate Summit, organized by the PHD Chamber of Commerce in collaboration with Invest India and in partnership with Norway, successfully showcased the potential of hydrogen fuel as a sustainable energy solution. The hybrid format, with the virtual segment expertly managed by ibentos, allowed for broad participation, knowledge exchange, and collaboration. The active involvement of private companies, including Reliance Industries, further emphasized the importance of public-private partnerships in driving the adoption and integration of hydrogen fuel technologies. The summit’s outcomes included enhanced awareness, collaboration, and policy recommendations, paving the way for a hydrogen-powered future and contributing to global efforts in combating climate change.