In recent years, virtual medical conference platforms have become increasingly popular in Canada. With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the need for social distancing, many medical conferences have been forced to shift from in-person events to virtual conferences. While virtual conferences have been around for some time, the pandemic has accelerated their adoption, and they are likely to become a staple of the medical community in the years to come. In this blog, we will explore the scope of virtual medical conference platforms in Canada in 2023.
Current State of Virtual Medical Conferences in Canada
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a profound impact on the medical conference industry in Canada. Many conferences that were scheduled to take place in person in 2020 and 2021 were cancelled or postponed, and many have shifted to virtual platforms. The Canadian Medical Association (CMA) cancelled its in-person annual general meeting in 2020 and held a virtual conference instead. The CMA also held its annual conference virtually in 2021.
Other medical conferences in Canada have also shifted to virtual platforms. The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (SOGC) held its annual clinical meeting virtually in 2020 and 2021. The Canadian Cardiovascular Society (CCS) held its annual congress virtually in 2020 and plans to hold a hybrid event in 2021. The Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT) held its annual conference virtually in 2020 and plans to do the same in 2021.
The Benefits of Virtual Medical Conferences
Virtual medical conferences offer several benefits over in-person events.
- First, they are more accessible to a wider audience. Virtual conferences can be attended from anywhere in the world, which means that medical professionals who might not have been able to attend an in-person event due to travel or scheduling conflicts can still participate. This can lead to greater participation and engagement, which can be beneficial for knowledge sharing and networking.
- Second, virtual conferences are often more cost-effective than in-person events. Attendees do not need to pay for travel, lodging, or meals, which can be significant expenses for in-person conferences. This can make virtual conferences more accessible to medical professionals who might not have the budget to attend an in-person event.
- Third, virtual conferences are more environmentally friendly than in-person events. In-person conferences require a significant amount of energy and resources to organize, including transportation, lodging, and food. Virtual conferences eliminate the need for many of these resources, which can help reduce the carbon footprint of the medical community.
- Fourth, virtual conferences can be more flexible than in-person events. Attendees can participate in sessions at their own pace and on their own schedule, which can be beneficial for medical professionals who have busy schedules or who need to balance work and family obligations.
Challenges and Limitations of Virtual Medical Conferences
While virtual medical conferences offer several benefits, there are also some challenges and limitations to consider.
- One of the main challenges is the lack of face-to-face interaction. In-person conferences offer the opportunity for attendees to meet and network with each other, which can lead to valuable connections and collaborations. Virtual conferences, on the other hand, can feel more impersonal, which can make it more difficult to build relationships.
- Another challenge is the potential for technical issues. Virtual conferences require a stable internet connection and reliable technology, and technical issues can disrupt sessions and cause frustration for attendees.
- Finally, virtual conferences can be more challenging for presenters. Presenting in a virtual environment requires different skills and techniques than presenting in person, and it can be more difficult to engage with an audience when you cannot see their reactions.
Future of Virtual Medical Conferences in Canada
Despite the challenges and limitations, virtual medical conferences are likely to continue to be an important part of the medical community in Canada in 2023 and beyond. Virtual medical conferences has proven to be a valuable alternative to in-person events in Canada in 2020 and 2021, and it is likely that they will continue to be an important part of the medical community in the years to come.
- One reason for this is that virtual conferences offer several benefits that are likely to be attractive to medical professionals even after the pandemic is under control. As mentioned earlier, virtual conferences are more accessible, cost-effective, and flexible than in-person events, and they can also be more environmentally friendly.
- Moreover, the rapid adoption of virtual medical conferences in response to the pandemic has led to an increase in investment in virtual conference platforms and technologies. This investment is likely to continue, which will lead to further improvements in the user experience and technical capabilities of virtual conference platforms. These improvements will make virtual conferences even more attractive to medical professionals.
- Another factor that is likely to contribute to the growth of virtual medical conferences in Canada is the increasing globalization of the medical community. Medical research and practice are becoming more international in scope, and virtual conferences offer an opportunity for medical professionals from around the world to come together and share their knowledge and expertise.
However, it is important to note that virtual conferences are not a perfect solution. In-person events will continue to play an important role in the medical community, and virtual conferences are likely to complement rather than replace them. Additionally, there are still some technical and logistical challenges to overcome in order to make virtual conferences as engaging and effective as in-person events. This can be easily managed by partnering with a top virtual medical conference platform like the ibentos.
The ibentos virtual conference platform comes with a host of features and benefits for every industry and organiser. The platform is extremely versatile and robust, hence can be customized according to the requirement of every industry. Offering an immersive experience throughout the conference, along with many opportunities to boost the sponsorship game, the ibentos virtual medical conference platform allows organizers to cater to a large sum of attendees and create a networking hub amongst them.
Virtual medical conferences have become a significant part of the medical community in Canada in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. While they have some limitations compared to in-person events, they offer several benefits that are likely to make them an important part of the medical landscape in the years to come. As technology improves and the medical community becomes increasingly globalized, virtual medical conferences are likely to become an even more valuable tool for knowledge sharing and collaboration in Canada and around the world.
Want to execute an enriching virtual event for your audience, reach out to us now.